Why Work? Forum Index Why Work?
Creating Livable Alternatives to Wage Slavery

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Become an Outcast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Why Work? Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergasiophobic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: How to Become an Outcast Reply with quote

How to Become an Outcast
Daniel Mathews
September 12, 2006

"The first and most important step is to remove all possible common interests with the vast majority of people. This in turn will vastly decrease your chances of meaningful social interaction and hence the number of your friends, as desired. With an inability to talk to the average person you will become averse to social situations and successfully appear boring or inept. It's simple! If you can just train yourself naturally to think of topics about which the average person has no interest or even better, to which they have a visceral reaction of dis.gust or repulsion then you will be sure not to overburden yourself with the demands of others such as friends, colleagues, and workmates."

More(pdf)
jane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any problems in this area. lol I get bored with social interaction very quick. Especially being female and all women want to talk about are their kids and so on. I don't have any kids so nothing in common there.
Ergasiophobic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. I read the essay in a sarcastic tone, myself. It makes it seem as if "being different" is something that I set out to do on purpose, which isn't true at all. But that's exactly how others act, too - as if you should just start being interested in those trivial things to secure friends. The essay, as well as society's view, seems to be a bit of putting the cart before the horse. As if our interests were based on 'not liking people', versus 'people not liking' our interests. Smile

I assume that was the author's intent; to be mocking of that idea.
Broken Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm even an outcast among outcasts. Smile

Thanks for the reminder.
Some people hear their inner voices with great clearness, and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy ... or they become legend. They won't be using my sperm to create an army of slaves - that's for damn sure.
yougetajob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe when you strip down all the programming(?), most people don't want to actually have these "small talk" superficial conversations. But they (me too) sometimes do it just to fit in. Just to not stand out and seem like a weirdo to the other person. I guess insecurity probably has something to do with it.

I don't always feel like this though. A lot of the time I walk around thinking the opposite. But usually when I'm in one of these moods I get reminded that this is not always the case. People can really surprise you. But then soon after I forget all this and go back to what could be described as an "emo/nobody understands me/my interests are so much cooler and more important than other people's" type of attitude.
Debbie
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs talk when you can hug Smile

www.idlefoundation.net
whyjob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the article. I've been trying to do anything and everything to become an outcast, but I'm just too popular.

Leisurist, for today is a good day to relax
Broken Spirit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whyjob wrote:
thanks for the article. I've been trying to do anything and everything to become an outcast, but I'm just too popular.

Very Happy
Some people hear their inner voices with great clearness, and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy ... or they become legend. They won't be using my sperm to create an army of slaves - that's for damn sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Why Work? Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: